If my blog were a class, I’d be in a lot of trouble! I missed Friday’s “assignment” so I’m tying to make up for the missed work by posting today. I’m even sucking up a little by doing some extra credit. It’s not like I wasn’t prepared for Friday’s art post. I had a couple of drawings all ready to go, but when Friday rolled around problems kept popping up. First, the scanner/printer I have set up decided not to work. I thought this was a great opportunity to get out the new scanner/ printer that I got for my birthday.
You know how things that originally seem quite simple can snowball and can become quite the undertaking? Well, that’s exactly what happened to me. To set up the scanner I would need to tackle organizing my craft room. It’s such a disastrous mess that I’ve avoided it at all costs. I’ve just been opening the door throwing whatever craft supplies I’ve acquired and running away in terror. Unfortunately, that’s not much of an exaggeration. So last night, I finally broke down and began wading through the mess. I still have a long way to go before I have a clean, well-organized craft room, but it’s a start. I was also able to get the new printer hooked up and scanned in the artwork.
The first drawing I made is an artichoke to go with the kitchen theme of the month. I edited the drawing in Gimp to erase all the unwanted pencil marks so I could present you with my extra credit project: A FREE EMBROIDERY PATTERN!
You can print out the image, transfer it to your desired fabric, and follow the outline using a back-stitch. If you’re unfamiliar with this stitch you can use this wonderful tutorial on The Purl Bee to learn how. I bet this would look adorable embroidered on dish towels, placemats, coasters, or anything really.
I know this kind of goes against my ideals of doing as much as I can by hand, but I had received ArtRage for my birthday as well and I can’t not use it. Anyways, this isn’t going to replace the work I do by hand, it’ll just add to it. So last night when I was installing the printer, I also installed the ArtRage program and have been messing around with it. My first project was an attempt at coloring in the artichoke image. There’s a lot I still need to learn about the program, and improve my own skills, but it’s a start.